Call us 605-226-1199

Call us 605-226-1199

Saturday, March 21, 2009

We have lost Lucy


Over the last couple years and have had several contact me wanting another pup out of Lucy. I told them that Lucy had been bred 4 times and I doubt if I ever breed her again and if I did I planned on keeping the litter myself.

Kevin was over a couple weeks ago looking at his Princess & Joe Black pup. He asked me. I didn’t think you were going to breed Lucy. I said I wasn’t. We got to checking her out and it was apparent she was pregnant. I was very upset because like I said I didn’t want to breed her anymore. Those of you that have been her know that I keep my males across the road on zip lines and the females in the kennels with concrete floors. So I couldn’t figure out how she had got bred. We did have bigun over breeding Bunny and they looked to both be going to whelp at the same time. So I come to the conclusion Bigun must have bred her while I had him visiting Bunny. Although as close watch as I keep on my dogs I was skeptical. I was keeping a very close eye on Lucy and she got so she didn’t want eat or drink water. I even cut up a steak and she wouldn’t eat it. Yesterday I loaded up and took her to the vet. I told him the story and he says me being a experienced breeder and her being on concrete he doubted I missed her. The vet took a x-ray of Lucy and told me it didn’t look good. He then done a sonogram and said the mass was a timer and fluid. He drained about a gallon of fluid from her and after opening her up he passed the news to me. Lucy needed put down. So I came home without my little gal.

Lucy was born 4-10-02 and was just one of those pups. She was the 1st to come of the box. Matter of fact she was the first of the litter to do anything. She was 8 weeks old when I showed her first squirrel tail and she sat down and barked her head off at it. She was 5 months old when she treed her first wild squirrel by herself. By the time she was 6 months old I could take her to the woods and kills squirrel with her each time. She was a good reproducer in her likeness as well. She threw some squirrel dogs in each of her litters. I never saw her growl at any one and was great around pups and strange dogs. Lucy had been a whale of a squirrel dog for us. Now that its over I think She may have been ill for a while because it seemed she didn’t have the spunk in her this past season like in years past.

1 comment:

  1. We're saddened by the loss of your "Lucy". That Clay X Meme cross was strong. Lucy left her own mark on them Eastern KY hills, along side her mother Meme, Velvet & Little Red, just to name a few. Her son Bigun is carrying on the tradition.....Littlejohn

    ReplyDelete

FACEBOOK


We have some of stuff now on Facebook. So click the link and join us.
http://www.facebook.com/BuckleyMountainFeist/

https://www.facebook.com/BuckleyMountainFeist

Mountain Feist treeing squacks

grey squirrel wheelin_armor

home8